July 4th is a joyous time of year to celebrate with friends and family. At the same time, it’s important to never forget the sacrifice others have made to ensure that peace and prosperity endure.
I served in the Navy and currently serve as vice-chair the Iowa Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. I’m a steadfast supporter of our men and women in uniform. I’m proud that Iowa has been a national leader in expanding opportunities for Veterans when they come home and ensuring they get the benefits they’ve earned.
As we celebrate America’s birthday, please take the time to thank the troops too. Iowans can be proud we’ve not forgotten the sacrifice made by our Veterans and their families.
Here’s a list of 2012 laws that help support Iowa’s troops:
• Fully funding tuition assistance for college. (SF 2321)
• Home buying assistance. (SF2336)
• Iowa Veterans Home Post-Traumatic Stress/Dual Diagnosis Center. (SF 2245)
• Iowa National Guard Civil Relief Act (lease, eviction, or gas, electric services relief). (SF 2097)
• Fully funding the Veterans Trust Fund needs for Veterans who’ve fallen on hard times. (HF 2466)
• Commercial Driver’s License driving test waiver for qualified military experience. (HF 2403)
• Veterans status on Iowa driver’s license. (SF 2112)
• Automatic six-month extension of Veterans driver’s license upon release from active duty. (HF 2404)
• Waterloo Sullivan Brothers Iowa Vets Museum history project for Iraq/Afghanistan Vets. (SF 2316)
• Injured Veterans Grant program improvements. (SF 2244)
• Veterans Trust Fund loans to help pay for improvements to the Iowa Veterans Cemetery. (HF 2402)
• Surviving military spouse can purchase space in the cemetery where Veteran is interred. (HF 2264)
• Improved training and readiness facilities at various military sites around Iowa. (SF 2316)